Don't Speak English? NOT TO WORRY!

Monday, June 24, 2013

The World Is... "Whenever, If Ever" Review


The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die has just released their sophomore album Whenever, if Ever via Topshelf Records.

I just got into this band because they are coming to play in my city on their summer tour so I checked them out on Spotify.  I liked their first album Are Here to Help but the latest record has solidified my enjoyment for the band.

They have continued with their Explosions in the Sky-esq instrumentals but add in more agressive vocals than before ("Heartbeat in the Brain").  The vocals are no Nate Ruess by far but imperfect, rock n roll vox are what is popular.

In "Fightboat" they add in a fun trumpet intro and a techno, amusement park style synth making the track almost danceable.

Things slow down with finger plucking guitars, crescendos that build to nothing exciting and simple drumbeats ("Picture of a Tree that Doesn't Look Okay", "You Will Never Go to Space", "Ultimate Steve").  They are relaxing but keep the listener interested throughout the track.

I may sound like I'm being a bit harsh at times, but I mean well. This album is quite good and I have been listening to it all day, Girl Scouts honor.

3 1/2 out 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment