Don't Speak English? NOT TO WORRY!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

CNN Trying to be Music Journalists

So I must really be out of the world of national news because I was not even aware that there had been a shooting in the state of Wisconsin. Now there are probably tons of shootings that go on daily in the world but what gained the attention of this one was because it was a hate crime. This was done against a religious group that many people in the United States are ignorant to called Sikh. I personally never heard of it, so you can check this link for some info.

I certainly sympathize with the people that were wrongly murdered and hope that justice is brought upon the killer.

But there is another piece of the story that was developed by a man named Lonnie Nasatir, who had written an article about the incident for CNN News. I am not quite sure how the topic of hate music got into his piece about the shooting (maybe because it's being labeled as a hate crime). He falsely accuses a hardcore metal band, Hatebreed, of being a white power band. Their name is certainly misleading which could be the reason that Nasatir made the mistake that he did.

This false accusation lead to Hatebreed and their fans in a tizzy and CNN getting quite a bad rep for not double-checking their facts. (I'm sure I will be learning to check my facts in my journalism classes this fall.)

Since the article was posted online, the band was deleted form the list of white supremacist musicians.

Huffington Post did an article about the incident and associate editor Brittany Moseley from Alternative Press wrote up her thoughts on the scandal.

My thoughts are simply, why did this even happen? Why does a serious tragedy have to cause dumb side drama like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment